Saturday, November 16, 2013


I know a girl who can’t see out of her right eye
and doesn’t seem to mind. I know a girl who hides 
behind her hair. I know a girl who fashions poems
out of matches. I know a girl who has been planning
her wedding since she was eight. I know a girl 
who hasn’t seen her father in six years. I know a girl 
who had a baby and won’t answer the phone 
on Thursdays. I know a girl who doesn’t eat 
because her mother is still telling her how to chew. 
I know a girl who kisses with her eyes open. 
I know a girl that got on a train and never came back. 
I know a girl who tried to burn a church down 
because they told her there is only one right way 
to love. I know a girl who doesn’t lock her doors 
at night. I know a girl who played hide and seek 
for two years and had to come out because 
everyone else stopped playing. I know a girl 
who is getting older and broke all the mirrors 
in her house. I know a girl who has forgotten 
how to sleep alone. I know a girl who tried to be
important, and then gave up. I know a girl who 
will become a statistic, a problem to solve. 
I know a girl who will read this and then forget 
that she read it.

— Kristina Haynes, “I Know a Girl”

No comments :

Post a Comment