Saturday, May 25, 2013

Thought this was an interesting perspective to share :)
credits to http://writingsforwinter.tumblr.com, her works are amazing

letter to an anorexic ex-boyfriend

I don’t even remember your name now, but I do remember how
when we had sex it felt like holding a toothpick in my arms,
or how every time I tried to hug you, all I put my hands around
was open air. You were the missing color of the rainbow
that always bled its sadness like watercolors into the toilet,
the Wednesday that struggled just to make it to Thursday
so it could trim off another calendar page
and make itself a little smaller. The first time
I saw you, the butterflies in my chest played dodge ball
with my heart; every moment I spent looking at you
my pulse stuttered so badly I’m still surprised
it didn’t need to attend a speech impediment class.
But when you started counting calories I stopped
cooking you dinner. I’m sorry for all the nights
I could have made you spaghetti and meatballs,
your favorite, when you said you were just tired instead.
I’m sorry for standing there and watching your shadow
starve itself down to a wisp of smoke,
or being too afraid to hold your hand because
I knew it would slip right through my fingers.
And I apologize in advance for still thinking about you
ten years from now every time I slice into a piece
of chocolate cake, because I still remember
how you wouldn’t even lick the icing from the candles
for fear of inhaling just a few more drops of fat.
Every twenty minutes during ordinary conversation
there’s a lull in which no one talks.
I think of you sometimes during those silences
because every step you took hardly made any noise;
even our golden lab couldn’t hear it, and you know dogs
have ultrasonic hearing. I wonder sometimes
if you still treat your body like a disposable camera,
something that can capture a few good moments
but is useless in the end. I hope you’ll forgive me
for only ever keeping track of your smiles
when all you wanted to keep track of
was your daily food intake.

No comments :

Post a Comment